8 On-Page SEO and 15 Off-Page SEO Optimisation Tips for Online Shop and Websites
SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) is a vast topic. You can optimise your website’s or Online Shop’s Search Engine visibility by following these proven Onsite and Offsite or Onpage and Offpage techniques and tips.
Basically SEO rules are divided in two broad categories as: On-Page-SEO and Off-Site-SEO. I shall talk about some basic techniques here because it is a tremendous area to discuss about and it is recommended to handle by professional hands if you seriously concern about SEO. Remember SEO is a continuous process and you have to invest large amount and time to acquire better position in Search Engine results Page (SERP).
8 Basic On-Page SEO Techniques must be followed for an Online Shop and Websites:
- Page Title: Page title is the primary sentence which tells your visitors also search engines what is your page is all about. Write meaningful, readable and understandable title in every page of your website or online shop.
- Meta Descriptions: These are the descriptions written about every page which is normally summary of the page contents and only visible on search engine results page under every result. It is specifically written for Search Engines and to show in search results.
- Meta Tags: These are the relative keywords which are scattered all over the pages which have added. Basically these Meta Tags are used for most frequently used words which reflects your main content or product description. It helps search engines to understand which is the main focus of that page in your site or shop.
- URL Structure: URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator or simply the Address which we can see after the domain name and a slash (/) sign. SEO strategy tells us to write a meaningful URL which is understandable by users and search engines.
- Body Tags like (H1,H2,H3..H6): As we write our main contents in every page needs to be structured in a way that readers feel easy to read on using paragraphs and breaks. ‘H’ tags are ‘Header’ tags are denoting the font size in a pattern following H1 is the biggest and H6 is smallest. H1 is reserved for main Page Title and mainly used once and H2,H3… are used as sub-headers according to the importance throughout entire content.
- Image SEO: It is very simple but effective SEO strategy. Remember to add ‘alt’ or alternative tags in every image you use in your page. It helps search engines to understand what is this image and if not loaded properly it shows the alternate text in place of the image.
- Keywords: These are main focus words in your page what are users searching for. It may be product name in different variations or product or category attribute and options. There is a general rule to use 3-5% of keyword inside the total content with other words which completes the writing. You can use ‘Bold’, ‘Italics’, and ‘Underline’ to focus the keywords.
- Interlinks: Interlinking with other pages in your own site is a greater help for readers and search engines to index and acquire relevant and related contents in your site or online shop. Remember to link topics with proper keywords when interlinking contents in your site.
15 Off Page SEO Techniques to Promote your Website/Shop Online:
Off Page or Off Site SEO is called because these works are done beyond your own original website or online shop. Here I shall discuss about only techniques and briefs. If you need more information, then search about the technique name to know more. These techniques are arranged by their weight or usefulness. Lets’ know them.
- Social Signal: Search engines notices the activity among the users of various popular social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Linked-in etc. on a brand, or particular product. If more users are sharing, liking and discussing about some particular brand or product then it values the product or brand in SERP.
- Blogging: It is a good strategy to write different blog topics on same site where your shop exists. People searches for various “How to” topics to find answer online. If your blog posts answers same with the help of your products, then your job is done. People will find you looking for the answer they need and if you successfully present your product within the topic as a solution of their problem, then most of them will gladly purchase your product following the link.
- Blog Commenting: Find similar Blog topics on other sites which relates to your product and post useful comments on that topic. You have an opportunity to link your shop site there. Many times similar minded people join the discussion and eventually they can find your website or shop from there. Also search engines crawl the links and reaches your site to link as related content.
- Forum Participation: Search various online forums which relates your product and help forum users participating and answering their question. There you can show of your product as solutions of their problem.
- Business Directory Submission: There are various Directory websites which allows to open an account and show off new Businesses and Brands online. Register these sites and you can get nice and high quality backlinks from there. Both these directories and search engines can send you visitors.
- Search Engine Submission: Popular search engines allow new site owners to register their sites to be indexed properly by various Webmaster tools. Go to Google, Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex webmaster tools and register your sites. These tools also tell you how you can increase visibility on search engines better by giving automatic helpful tips.
- Social Bookmarking Sites: There are some Web 2.0 sites called Social Bookmarking sites like StumbleUpon, Digg, Delicious, Reddit, Pinterest etc. These sites enable to bookmark your shop pages. You can get visitors from there and Search engines also prefers them.
- Link Exchange and Link Baiting: When you release some great product or article online, many other site owners will likely refer your product or article on their website. It is called as link Baiting. Some other sites allow to submit your unique content with a link of your website on their site or blog and request you to do the same for their website. This is called Link Exchange. Both are helpful for SEO.
- Media Sharing: Publish your product photos to other photo only sites like Flickr, Instagram, Picasa, Photo Bucket and lots other. You can put your shop link there also in images to increase Brand and product visibility. Make convincing and useful videos of your product if possible and upload them in YouTube, Vimeo, DailyMotion like video uploading sites with proper description. Search Engines finds them and index them.
- Article Submission: There are many online article directories like EzineArticles, GoArticles, ArticlesBase, Buzzle, ContentDesk where you can write and publish some article written on your products to grab attention of visitors and gain customers from there.
- Classified Listings: Some online classified websites offer you to publish and promote your products for free. Sites like Craiglist, VivaStreet, Olx, Quickr and many more offers this service.
- Product Shopping Search Network: You can add your products on Google Product Search, Yahoo Online Shopping, MSN Online Shopping, and other major social shopping network sites like so on.
- Question and Answer Sites: You might come across sites like Quora and Yahoo Answers. These sites are free to register and here anyone can ask questions on different topics. Other users can answer them. Search for questions related to your product and write solutions mentioning your product there.
- Document Sharing Sites: Sites like Slideshare, Scribd, Google Docs, Docstock etc. offers you to upload and share any type of Document files like .doc, .pdf, .ppt, .xls etc to share online. You can make your product presentations and brochures and upload them free on such sites and share on social networks. This gives you quality backlinks and more visitors.
- Business Review Sites: These type of sites collects user opinion and reviews in various forms. Register your business and products to get reviews from customers. Example sites are Better Business Bureau (BBB), Angie’s List, Trustpilot, ConsumerReports, Google My Business, Yahoo! Local Listings, Bing Places, Foursquare etc.